Softdevice or Xine?

tony wrote:

> I have a button on the desktop which when clicked starts xine full
> screen and connected to the VDR live TV stream. From then on everything
> is controlled via the remote including switch off and playing back
> recordings. I have gnome configured to start xine full screen when I
> insert a DVD too and from then on everything is controlled via the
> remote.

I use matchbox, I found the heavy weight desktops just got in my way.

http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/

> The main advantage of running X windows is that the box can be used for
> other things than watching TV. And on LCD or DLP projectors the quality
> of small text is just fine. My dream is a big LCD and a wireless
> keyboard to replace the ugly desk in my SOHO.

check out the gyroscopic mouse. I bought one with a keyboard a few years
ago, no desk required :-) dead handy when I want to do something from
the sofa and cannot be bothered to walk into the study.

http://www.gyration.com/

Simon