vdr-xine and alsa audio mixer

Richard Wall wrote:
> I want a setup where I can mute the vdr-xine DVB audio and load / listen
> to an audio CD / mp3 / DVD.
> I'm using Ubuntu Breezy and when I change the volume in xine / vdr-xine
> it seems to alter volume of any other audio apps eg totem. Infact it
> seems to alter the PCM level in alsamixer.
> I don't know a great deal about alsa, but I've read about my soundcard
> (an ATI IXP, integrated on MSI RS480M2 motherboard) and apparently it
> doesn't support hardware mixing and I need to use the dmix plugin.
> Well I tried that, and it works with alsaplay, but I can't get xine to
> use the dmix plugin.

I found this article...
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa/

...and it didn't really help but it pointed me in the right direction.

I have edited my .xine/config to include the following lines...

gui.audio_mixer_method:Software
audio.device.alsa_default_device:alsasink
audio.device.alsa_front_device:alsasink

...and now I can control volumes in xine/ totem/ xmms independently and
without altering the master volume.

"alsasink" seems to be the default alsa software mixer device for gnome.

Only problem is that it seems to have made the vdr osd volume control
terribly unresponsive.

-RichardW.