Pb with softdevice and vdr in deamon mode

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 02:25:15PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> I'm trying to setup vdr with a budget card (only, no ff card) and
> softdevice.
>
> When I launch vdr and softdevice from a terminal, everything is
> working fine (with xv)
>
> But I'd like to set up vdr as a daemon (i.e. launched by init.d) so
> recording can begin even if I'm not logged.

I'm doing exactly that.  There are no X11 related packages installed
on the system.  Instead, I'm using DirectFB output on a Matrox G450
card.

For timed recordings, the computer starts by nvram-wakeup.  For
interactive use, it's started by remote control.  The wakeup device
I designed and programmed will signal the computer whether it was
started by remote control or by something else.  Audio/video playback
is started and the monitor is powered on only if the system was
started by remote control.  While the computer is running, I can
turn playback on and off by pressing the Power button (on the remote
control or on the computer).  After a user-configureable timeout,
the computer shuts down automatically when it is idle and no key has
been pressed after the Suspend key has been pressed to suspend playback.

If you are interested in such features, please see my VDR related
patches at <http://www.funet.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/>.

> I'd like to be able to run vdr as a daemon with softdevice plugin
> loaded. For this I need softdevice to not try to connect to X11 until
> a command is sent to vdr daemon (either through the remote control or
> SVDRP).
>
> This command would need to contain the display name to connect to.

Can't you just set DISPLAY=:0.0 in your runvdr script?

> Does this sound reasonnable ? (or did I miss something ?)

It does.  I guess XFree86 or X.org runs on more cards than DirectFB.
I'd use DirectFB, as it allows the computer to start up faster, and
you can use the virtual consoles on top of the TV picture (at least
on the Matrox G450).

	Marko