clarification request: vdr file format?

On Thursday 25 August 2005 18:34, Udo Richter wrote:
> Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> > So converting from TS directly to PS would be the best choise.. ?
> > TS still contains the timing information..
> >
> > vdr has access to TS stream, so it could save in TS format, or convert to
> > correct/synced PS format?
>
> VDR would have to convert TS to PES and back to TS to do this, as you
> usually don't want to record everything on a transponder.
ehm, why do a conversion?
a ts can be generated by selecting pids of a service
with demux.output = DMX_OUT_TS_TAP
after adding the pids, just read and save the content of
the dvr device.

i think choosing PES as a storing format - causing incompatibilities with different playback solutions than vdr -
was made, because the av7110 full featured dvb adapters are not able to
act like normal set-top-box chips. they are not able to playback from a ts file directly.
so internally the ts is converted and repacked by the driver. as these functions have got some race conditions
that are not fixed (will they ever be?), imho there is no real chance to have ts in future.