clarification request: vdr file format?

In <200508241502.33976@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oliver Endriss wrote:

> jik jikman wrote:
> > Thanks,
> > But the question is why we can't directly record in ps format. Is it
> > vdr problem or dvb driver problem.
> >
> > I call it problem because I can play vdr files with mplayerc in
> > windows, and many other players , even vlc can't play it.
>
> Sorry, I'm using vdr to play vdr files. If some other software is not
> able to play PES, that software cannot be used or needs to be fixed.

Not everyone can use VDR that way because of limitations of output
plugins, but it can still be useful for making recordings to watch with
something else (by using the vdr-xine plugin for output but not actually
running xine). MPlayer seems to be the only other player capable of
playing the format, but it has problems like not being able to work out
the length of recordings and show playback progress correctly. And even
vdrsync often doesn't work properly. ProjectX nearly always works well
though.

> Changing the recording format would break backward compatibility with
> existing recordings. Very bad idea.

It should be able to cope with a new format while still being compatible
with the old one.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk