Feature request: suggestion for cPlugin

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> My original arguments regarding the use of dedicated functions were
> dismissed, saying that this would require including header files for
> definitions.

As far as I can tell, Martin's argument is the k.o. criteria for this,
as access to member functions requires both plugins to share a linker
symbol context. Sharing just the headers imho only gives access to
member variables and virtual methods derived from cPlugin. One could use
a function pointer, but thats not really elegant.

> Well, if you take a look at Udo's example plugins, there is
> struct ReportBoredPlugin
> struct AddService
> in both of them. So there's a code duplication right there, and if the
> server decides to change something, the client will have to change it's
> code as well. It will be fun to watch this stuff go through protocol
> changes... ;-)

A dedicated struct is a lot safer than the whole class, as it wont
change that frequently. And the documentation will clearly warn, that
any change to the struct requires changing the ID string too.

> Hmm, still no "oh yes!" feeling here.
>
> Maybe my original "service" suggestion isn't that obsolete, yet.

Ok, I'll come up with another idea: Why not call it a message interface?

cPluginManager::SendMessage(...)
cPluginManager::BroadcastMessage(...)
cPlugin::ProcessMessage(...) or cPlugin::Message(...)

> So personally I'd vote for not implementing CallPluginService(), but if you
> absolutely insist, I won't argue any more.

Since most people think it is not needed, I agree to drop it. I've added
it only for completeness anyway.

Cheers,

Udo