Mplayer mpegpes not working

> > I'm trying to get the mplayer plugin working.  Am I correct - mplayer
> > uses the mpegpes vo option to feed the played stream into a PES stream,
> > which VDR then plays??
>
> No, you are not. Mplayer encodes the stream to MPEG-1 and sends it to
> the video output of DVB-card. Your card doesn't have such a thing.

Oh.  Fair enough.

I have modified my mplayer.sh to use the X output rather than mpegpes,
so a mplayer window opens up to play the .avi file or whatever.  But a
weird problem occurs.

-If xine is running (I use the xine player as my card has no mpeg2
decode) the mplayer window launches full screen, but the video is in a
smaller window with huge black borders

-If xine isn't running, and VDR is using skincurses, the mplayer window
opens up fullscreen with full screen video fine.

Any ideas on this one?