Transfer mode and a motorised dish

En/na Malcolm Caldwell ha escrit:
> Hello,
>
> I get the feeling that 1.4 might be getting close - so I though I should
> speak up now.
>
> I have a request: find a way to fix transfer mode while using a
> motorised dish.
>
> I have a dxr3 based system and a motorized dish.  The problem is vdr
> only waits a few seconds (TUNER_LOCK_TIMEOUT set in device.c) before it
> reports "ERROR: device %d has no lock" and gives up.
>
> This makes it fairly painful.  I have to change channel, wait for the
> dish to move and then go "menu->channels->OK" to re-tune the current
> channel.
>
> My "Fix" is not to return false after the timeout.  This causes vdr to

My fix is not to wait at all :-)
(unfortunately this breaks the ttxsubs plugin for recordings)

> try to set up the filters anyway, and things work fine.  When the dish
> moves the channels just starts to work fine.  (If I am not wrong, vdr
> used to have no timeout here but some cards did not like you to set
> filters when there was no lock... ?)   Setting the timeout to a large
> value is not an option as vdr is unresponsive during this period, making
> channel surfing 'stick' at various places where channels are
> un-available.  I cannot think of a fix that preserves the "don't set
> filters without a lock" behaviour without using another thread.
>
> The other problem with vdr and motorised dishes is due to the timeout
> for recordings.  If vdr receives no data for MAXBROKENTIMEOUT defined in
> recording.c it does an emergency restart.  Now on the plus side, by the
> time vdr restarts my dish has (so far) always moved to the correct
> position!  However, I must say it is hard to explain to my wife why the
> recording we just happened to be watching at the time stopped midway
> through...

Here my fix is to wait ten time the MAXBROKENTIMEOUT but only for the
first packet.

> Maybe some of this could be fixed by to rotor plugin, however the rotor
> plugin should not be needed in this setup (I just define things in
> diseqc.conf).

There are other problems, like the channel autoupdate picking data from
the wrong satellite. I don't think you can solve that without a plugin.
In fact Klaus promised to check the plugins in the tuning thread to see
if a channel can be actually tuned to and it is ready to be tuned. If he
manages do to it and at the same time doesn't block vdr responsiveness
to the remote I think it would be the best solution.
However, Klaus kindly reminded us that his day has only 24 hours (bad,
bad Klaus ;-), so you'll just have to be patient.

Bye

--
- Yo tambi?n quiero una Europa libre de Patentes de Software  -