How to speed up vdr start ?

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 09:29:04PM +0200, Christoph Hermanns wrote:
> Hello out there !
>
> Is it possible to speed up the vdr start (e.g. on my system) ???
> I'm running vdr on a SuSE 8.2 System with 2.4 Kernel driver.
>
> The start of the runvdr script is initiated by
> a runlevel script (runlevel 3 and 5).
>
> It took about 90 seconds until i got a picture.

This topic has been covered in the German VDR wiki
<http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/VDR_Bootzeiten>.

For the record, my 900 MHz system starts up in 40 seconds.  Some 11
or 12 seconds are wasted in the proprietary BIOS.  I'd use LinuxBIOS if
my mainboard were supported by it.

To shorten the boot time, I removed almost everything that is not
strictly necessary: hotplug, usb drivers, X11, SMTP daemon, network
file systems, fam, cron, syslogd, etc.  Basically, only
VDR+softdevice+DirectFB and OpenSSH are running.  Most drivers are
compiled into the kernel (currently 2.6.12.3).

> How can i speed up the starting of the dvb driver and vdr ?

I'd also like to know if there's a way to postpone the scanning of
existing recordings when starting up.  The scan takes a couple of seconds
on my system.  It'd be nicer to start showing video while scanning.

> When i run the runvdr script manually, it took also a few seconds before
> the picture is shown on tv. Can this startup be speeded up ?
> Any hints are welcome.

Use OProfile to identify the bottlenecks in vdr startup.

	Marko