Re: vdr-1.3.27 and UTF-8

Harald Milz wrote:
> Wolfgang Rohdewald <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mittwoch 20 Juli 2005 00:00, Harald Milz wrote:
>> > So at the end of the day, there's no way around a proper charset
>> > conversion... is there anything I can do to help?
>
>> Alexander Riedel announced UTF-8 Patch 0.0.3 on May 12 in this
>> list.
>
> Mmmm, yes, this patch is against 1.3.24, and applying it to 1.3.27 says,
>
> seneca:/usr/local/src/vdr/VDR # patch -p0 --dry-run < ../vdr-utf8-0.0.3.patch-0001.bin
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
> patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
>
> It seems nobody cares about this functionality when it was against 1.3.24
> and we're now working on 1.3.28. Will 1.3.28 be UTF-8 capable? Klaus,
> please. I understand you get lots of patches solving only minor and local
> problems but this is about international use of vdr and IMHO important
> enough.

This would be very important, indeed, but maybe Klaus sees this
different. A patch would be also OK for a while, unfortunately I
couldn't patch VDR with UTF-8 support until now (not even that 1.3.24
version, maybe due to other patches). I'd like to contribute to vdradmin
in this respect, too (I actually have a littel patch working here, but
only for displaying romanian EPG data correctly in vdradmin). I think
I'd have to rework this when VDR finally will support UTF-8.

> PS: It would be easier to avoid questions like mine (if you wanted to tell
> me I should look up the archives) if the list archive were searchable. ;-)

You could use snews://snews.gmane.org in your newsreader (I'm using
Thunderbird on Windows and Linux) to search, read and post to the VDR
ML, it's replicated there really in sync - matter of minutes - and then
you might want to turn off email delivery from the ML itself as you
could use the newsreader for everything)...

Bye
Lucian