vdr eats CPU/memory (EPG problem?)

This has happened twice to me so far, with two weeks in between:
Suddenly VDR starts hogging CPU and its memory use goes through the
roof (several hundred MB, then killed by OOM). All is fine when I
delete the huge (>9MB) epg.data file and restart VDR.
I'm trying to reproduce this by simulating a full EPG scan(*) and let
the data file fill to see if this is an effect of the huge data file,
but perhaps it also depends on the EPG data itself.

This is vdr 1.3.25, with most recent versions of the following
plugins: xine, decruft, osdteletext, femon, streamdev-client.
channels.conf fills with everything on S19.2E (UpdateChannels=4,
occasionally using decruft to clean...)

(*) Automatic EPG scan apparently still doesn't work in this
configuration: a single budget card doing live-view on xine and a
streamdev-client (theoretically) available for scanning.

Olaf