boot times

Sorry for the late reply but my diploma thesis eats most of my time..

On 22.06.2005, at 15:16, Nicolas Huillard wrote:

> Stefan Lucke a ?crit :
>
>> Quoting Patrick Gleichmann:
>>

>>> I don't think the boot time is that important.
>>> Just try to get S3/S4 running. I have a full gentoo distrib on my
>>> system, but it only takes about 12 sec. till I get a picture -
>>> thanks
>>> to suspend to disk. Suspend to Ram also works more or less, only the
>>> VGA output doesn't function.
>>
>> For resuming from S3 (suspend to ram) you need to enable a bios
>> option to
>> reinitialise VGA.

Thanks, even though I haven't tested it yet.

>>> Hw: EpiaM10000.
>>
>> I thought S4 (suspend to disk) is not supported by C3 architecture
>> due to a
>> missing instruction/feature (pse or pse36) http://www.suspend2.net/
>> status
>>

> Software Suspend 2 is a patch against kernels 2.4 or 2.6, that adds
> features to the swsusp code present in the legacy 2.6 kernel only.
> See http://www.suspend2.net/features
>
> Patrick should explain what versions he uses (kernel, kernel
> parameters,
> hibernate script, etc.)
> I personnally experimented with swsusp from the 2.6 branch on an old
> laptop (Vaio, broken ACPI), and it began to work a bit reliably with
> kernel 2.6.10.

I just use a plain 2.6 kernel w/o additional patches, so my S4 mode
is done using "swsusp". No unusual kernel parameters.

I posted my scripts a while ago on the VDR-Portal - sorry the
comments are in german:
http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=29624

Some parts of the script are responsible for a automatic reboot after
a timer change to set the alarm clock using NVRAM. After the reboot
the script sends the machine to sleep.

--
Patrick Gleichmann (mailto:patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
PGP key  > http://www.feedface.com/patrick/pubkey