Using VDR with more than one DVB card?

erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(Erik Tjernlund)  25.06.05 20:19

>>>I've been using VDR for a long time with one DVB-C card. Now I've added
>>>a second, identical card (Technotrend DVB-C 2.1).

>>>I get a picture,

Where do you get the picture?
When connecting a TV on the second card
or when recording and viewed via the first?

AFAIK VDR is supporting only one primary device.

>>>but it's of very low quality and breaking up all the time.

>Hmm. Ok. I've tried lots of different stuff now, but no change. Still
>unwatchable with two DVB-C cards in the machine. Tried to measure the
>signal strenght with the femon plugin, but I'm not really sure how to
>interpet that the signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio goes between ~87-91%.

that value should be OK.
(I am running at STR resp. SNR as low as 65% with DVB-S)

>If it is the signal strength, what do I do?
>Use the shortest possible cable?
>Buy an amplifier?

>I've just taken the coax cable from the cable-tv wall outlet,
>plugged in the first card and then used a short coax cable and
>connected the two cards.

Have you swapped the the sequence: connect the wall outlet cable
to the second card and then interconnect the first card to
the second?

I looks very much that:
The second card does not get enough signal(as i said:
The cable signal is typically so low that not more than
one receiver can be conneted), very annoying.
So you need an amplifier.

Maybe an external splitter would be worth a test too,
so both cards gets a lower level
Maybe something like BVE 2-01  @ 2,90 Euro.

An amplifier like
Axing	TVS 10-00 37.90

might be too fat.

But don't by too cheap. The amplifier must be specified for "cable"
else the signal quality may degrade.

But a

Axing TVS 8-01 16,90Euro
  TV distribution amplifier "suitable for CATV (TV, Radio)"

would be sufficient too.
(See reichelt.de for a datasheet)

>> - Use the old card as second board

>Check.

That means:
If you use the old card as second card the receiptiton on
the second card(=now old card) is still broken?