Request: Change Dolby Digital handling

----- original Nachricht --------

Betreff: Re: Request: Change Dolby Digital handling
Gesendet: Fr 10 Jun 2005 17:21:03 CEST
Von: "Sergei Haller"<Sergei.Haller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Anssi Hannula (AH) wrote:
>

> AH> I would also like to be able to record DD streams. But if I enable the
> AH> useDolbyDigital, the VDR might try to use DD for playing also and I do
> not
> AH> have the DD equipment. Yes, I could change the audio stream with the
> audio
> AH> button, but I don't like that I would have to change audio of every
> channel.
>
> you don't have to do that. Once you choose to a non-DD audio stream, VDR
> remembers that setting for all channels. and will not automatically select
> DD. (except you have a channel, which has _only_ DD)
>
> Oh, and don't forget that you can select preferred tracks in the setup
> menu.
>
> AH> Also, when the DVD plugin implements correct "useDolbyDigital" usage
> AH> (correct me if I'm wrong, but that means to offer the audio tracks in
> the
> AH> VDR Audio menu), I would have to switch every DVD to non-DD track also.
>
> same as VDR: the last choosen track should be remembered globally.
Unfortunely not.
I have bad experience with the dvd-plugin. The last 3..4 vdr versions seemed to have small differences that broke the audio.
Id seemed also to be quite driver dependend.
So in total, not usable for beginners ;-)

> AH> I'd like a separate option for playing and recording.
>
> since this question seems to be asked _very_frequently_, maybe having two
> separete options:
>
>    "Record DD" and "Offer DD in the Audio Menu"
>
> would make it more clear to the user and stop this questions. ;-)
>
> Klaus?

Then please remember the question if this should not be rather a timer option.
There are only a few (<10) channels with DD. >95% of their program is 2.0.
So there is no reason to record DD always.
It may also being a good oportunity to implement selectively record alternative language tracks (e.g. ARTE) only on request in the timer.

regard  Peter

P.S. Ok DD is only 384kb/s in a total 1,5..5Mb stream, so space saving is minimal.