vdr + streamdev_client + softdevice problem.

DOm schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> i'm using such a configuration:
>
> Server:
>  vdr+streamdev_server
>
> Client:
>  vdr+streamdev_client+softdevice(xv output)
>
> Everithing works quite well, but somethimes the client exits and i find
> some error messages in the logs, i attach the interesting lines.
> This seems to be an error with the ringbuffer, i can easily trigger the
> problem with softdevice fullscreen feature. Going fullscreen repeatedly
> makes vdr exit, but I do not know if the problem is caused either by
> softdevice itself or by streamdev or even by vdr, so i ask you some
> help.
>
> Some info on my configuration:
> i'm using vanilla vdr 1.3.25, streamdev CVS and softdevice CVS,
> kernel 2.6.11 and i use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 when launching vdr.
>
> Any hints? Any specific info request?
I guess the attachted log is from the server?

Here is my possible explanation, the softdevice CVS has currently a
*very* small buffer, the purpose of this is to make seeking backward in
a recording correct. In the near future it will be possible to select
the buffersize for correct seeking, save buffers and HDTV buffers, but
this is currently not yet implemented.
So with this very small buffer the softdevice cannot accept data at
anytime, especially when it has to switch from fullscreen to normal mode
and back for several times. The result is that also the buffers of the
streamdevice run full, and vdr clears the buffers of the server.
I don't know why this causes a crash, but I assume that one of the
threads of the streamdevice gets canceled which in the end causes a crash.

Please try to use the softdevice version 0.1.2, which is the last stable
release and has save buffer sizes. The CVS version is the head of the
development, which is _not_ the most stable version.

Martin