readable format under OSX/Win ?

On Sunday 05 June 2005 16:18, Gr?goire Favre wrote:

> I am not a great quicktime fan, I just have to "work" with it...

I do understand this.

> I won't start a war here : I am only interested if someone know how to
> do a very basic conversion (for example, there is no standard mpeg2
> files, if you create them with mplex, you could choose betweem format
> 3,8 and 9... maybe I should play with those options ?)

As far as I understand the flags in mplex are mostly so that mplex knows
what kind of data to expect. Of course there are incompatible options for
some formats and setting the appropriate --format makes mplex ignore
those. But the program stream format is still very much a standard thing
and not something the mplex developers pulled out of their hats the other
day.

The reason why quicktime doesn't support it is probably licensing issue of
some kind.  And of course apple wants everyone to use their magnificent
quicktime formats so you can't easily convert into anything usable and
change player.