Should VDR identify the audio stream type

Daniel THOMPSON wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I (along with some other folks at my company) are developing a LinuxDVB
> implementation for one of our devices. Since VDR (combined with vdr-dvd)
> is one of the most feature complete applications targeting this API we
> have been using it a one of our reference clients.
>
> One of the aspects of VDR's behaviour that surprised me is that it never
> sets the audio stream type (AUDIO_SET_STREAMTYPE or
> AUDIO_SET_ATTRIBUTES). This leaves the LinuxDVB implementation to guess
> the stream type from its contents or its PES headers.
>
> Is the absence of the above LinuxDVB operations from VDR an oversight
> because the existing full-featured cards don't need them or have these
> calls been deliberately omitted?

VDR simply writes the video and audio data to the device - apparently
at least with the FF cards nothing else is necessary. After all, the
device that plays the data _has_ to intepret the data, so why should
an application do that, too?

> Would patches to introduce them be
> accepted?

Where would that information come from?