encoding streams

Anssi Hannula wrote:

> Gr?goire Favre wrote:
>
>>     $MENCODER -aid 1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame
>> -lameopts cbr:br=$q $1
>
>                                                           ^^^
>

>> Bouah... no : aac for audio... and x264 for video :-)
>

> Never used them.
> What's aac anyway, your script appears to use mp3?
>
> What's the quality (with the same bitrate, of course) of x264 when
> compared to xvid/mpeg4?

Some info about H264

MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 on Hardware - HD-DVD/Blu-ray

Two organisations (the DVD Forum and the Blu-ray Disc Association) are
currently working on the successor of the popular DVD format, which will
support so called High Definition content (larger picture sizes than
current DVD): HD-DVD and BD-ROM

As reported here the DVD Forum already made the decision that MPEG-4
AVC/H.264 will be used as mandatory video codec for HD-DVD
Also the Blu-ray Disc Association has announced the inclusion of MPEG-4
AVC/H.264 as can be read here

It is therefore very likely that AVC/H.264 will be THE upcoming video
format, which will be widely used and supported, like it is the case
with MPEG-2 (used in DVD) today

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=461589&postcount=5
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73022#post461589

-josk

ps. I downloaded couple H264 samples and quality was amazing!