Re: 1.3.24 dying on second recording start

Hi,

This "1.3.24 dying on second recording start" -like issue seems to
persist. I have not been able to reproduce it in a controlled manner.
I have noticed some patterns however.

-The reason for the dying from vdr point of view is "ERROR: video data
stream broken"
-Unloadind and reloading the DVB drivers does not restore the system
in functional state
-The situation happens more propably when VDR has been running for a
long time than when when it has been running for a short time
-A typical case triggering the situation: A timer starts in the
background on another mux, than the one of currently viewed channel

This lead me into the following speculation (I'm not at all deeply
familliar with the details of vdr architecture). Anyway, it would be
great if someone who knows better could comment if the following
scenario might be the source of the problem in a two tuner setup with
one budget and one FF card?

1. vdr starts

2. First recording starts on the budget card. (HISTORY file for 1.3.24
says "Now preferring budget cards when selecting a DVB device for
recording")

3. If the current viewed channel is on the same mux as the channel
being recorded, the FF card becomes "idle" and available to be used to
perform background tasks, like EPG scanning and scanning for new and
changed channels.

4. The FF cards tuner comes accross a HDTV feed while scanning for
channel updates, causing some part of the card to crash or halt.
(could this be?)

5. A timer starts a second recording, on the "idle" FF card's tuner.

6. The tuner is alive and locks to a channel, but some part of the FF
card is not functioning and does not deliver data to the dvb driver
and vdr

7. 30 seconds after the start of the second recording vdr throws in
the towel, a "ERROR: video data stream broken" message and triggers an
emergency exit.

Am I totally in the woods here? I know, the the cable TV provider in
Helsinki (HTV) has done some HDTV pilots in the past, but don't know
if there is a feed present at the moment. Does someone in the Helsiki
area have better knowlege? Also I don't know if the above behaviour of
a FF card when tuning to a HDTV channel is possible in this case, when
the stream being decoded by the card is not coming directly from it's
local tuner, but from the budget card's tuner via vdr.

Any comments?

I guess I have to try to do some systematic testing when I have the
time and can agree on a suitable vdr mainanance window with my
girlfriend;)

Regards,
Mika