Re: UK teletext (was Re: osdteletext page 100-00 not found)

Laurence Abbott <laz <at> club-burniston.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:00 +0100, Simon Baxter wrote:
> > Yeah, UK.
> >
> > Oh?  ok.  I'll remove that plugin then!
>
> I could be wrong: it may now work. I haven't looked into it for a couple
> of years. I think the UK dvb teletext uses MHEG encoding, so look for
> that in the source or documentation.
>
> There is also some textual information transmitted with the radio
> stations which isn't available to vdr at present.
>
> Can anyone else shed any light on the current status?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laz

The OSDTeletext plugin works with traditional teletext (videotex) services like
CEEFAX. Unfortunately, the BBC has seen fit to cease broadcasting CEEFAX on all
of its digital distributions, instead giving us the frankly horribly unreliable
BBCi, which consists of MHEG applications on DVB-T and OpenTV applications on
DVB-S. To see a working teletext service on Astra 2, tune to S4C Digidol, and
view page 400 through the teletext plugin. TravelTV and the like may provide
teletext on DVB-T, but I've never tried to find out.

On the continent, DVB-S services such as ARD use the MHP system to distribute
"digital text services" and there is a vdr plugin that can (allegedly) deal with
these in a very elementary way. However, it's a bugger to install - I've tried
multiple times and have failed at one point or another and have eventually had
to give up.

There is also apparently a framework for a MHEG viewer available for Linux, but
I don't think it's anywhere near usable. Despite the name, Sky's OpenTV
implementation is very much proprietary, so there is not much chance at all of
anyone writing a plugin to get at the BBCi content delivered using OpenTV.

The texts transmitted with the radio stations on Astra 2 is contained in a
private stream, I think. I don't have a regular DVB-T STB, so I don't knwo if
the same texts are transmitted on Freeview.

Iwan