Vdr ignoring lirc (always wanting to set keyboard keys up)

Hi guys I am running debian unstable. I have got lirc working fine because
when i type irw and press buttons on the remote it says I am pressing the
buttons that I am. Also I have got my dvb card setup fine because I can
tune to different stations using tzap. When I run vdr all is well except
it keeps trying to setup the keyboard controls. Despite everything I try
it never lets me setup remote control buttons instead! I have tried
running "vdr-lirc", "vdr --lirc", "runvdr --lirc" etc... every time its
the same. Sorry if this is a common question or somthing but I searched a
lot and got nowhere! Thanks.