Re: [ANNOUNCE] UTF-8 patch 0.0.1 with Freetype2 font handling

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> I have to say it's a very good idea. One more step to convince Klaus
> to UTF-8 :-)

Yes, it would be so very convenient. Even if I haven't tried this UTF-8
& freetype2 patch myself yet (I will, as soon as I get some little
time), I know that users who want to use multiple languages in texts
either in the UI or EPG data would benefit from it. Andreas Regel which
maintains the graphlcd plugin included my freetype2 patches in the
graphlcd plugin and it's underlying library, and I'm sure this UTF-8
support can be achieved there, too. But of course it would be wise to
design how this should be handled together with Klaus and maybe even the
text2skin, graphtft plugin maintainers/authors, in the hope that a
robust and elegant design would be the result. Might be worth starting a
new thread if Klaus accepts participating, even if it would only be for
the next developer series of VDR, after he finishes 1.4.x-stable...

> It's probably a good idea to use libfontconfig instead of hardcoding
> file names here. This way the system wide installed fonts can be
> used and fontconfig will automatically pick the 'best' font for the
> job. The fonts you use are not available on most distributions by
> default...

You might be right, I don#t know much about what libfontconfig actually
does, and maybe this would also be subject to the discussion I mentioned
above.

>>For each channel in channels.conf it is possible to establish the
>>character coding, the field is added in the end every line.
>>For example:
>>
>>Das
>>Erste;ARD:198500000:I0C34D12M16B7T8G4Y0:T:27500:101:102=deu:104:0:1:8468:9985:0:ISO8859-15
>>
>>By default is ISO8859-15.
>

> Don't the stations tell you which encoding they are broadcasting in?

I don not know if there are any stations which do that, but there are
definitively lots who don't, or don't even broadcast EPG, not to mention
subtitles or text. For example, I'm supplying my VDR with EPG data from
xmltv for romanian stations, which do not broadcast EPG. The data from
XMLTV for those stations uses ISO-8859-2, and I can only see it properly
if using the romanian VDR interface. Although I updated the romanian
translation, I prefer using most programs and devices having a menu in
english, but have *contents* displayed *properly*, which is something I
believe UTF-8 could solve. BTW, the same issue applies with vdradmind

> Are there any channels with non-iso8859-1 encoding on Astra?

As far as I remember, there must be some even on Astra, but 19,2?E is
fortunately not the only orbital position one can receive with VDR,
isn't it ;-) ?

Best regards,
Lucian