Help on some decisions...

Bj?rn Fischer <thebear80@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hi!

> So far the hardware. Now I need Software... I tought about using the
> LinVDR distribution, but I also want to use the computer as a
> file-server, and therefore I think that LinVDR is a bit too
> restrictive, so I will use a "standard" distribution. This will then
> probably be Gentoo. Any Problem with that?

I use Gentoo for my "VDR-and-everything-server".
There is no Problem.
(I do not use the Gentoo-VDR, because I migrated from Suse to Gentoo and
used to compile VDR myself. But there should be no problems...)

The main advantage of Gentoo: You are not forced to do a classical
migration from version X to Y (eg. Suse 9.0 to 9.1).
You can update your Linux whenever you want/need in whole or in part.
I find this very useful, because my VDR can not have long downtimes.
No VDR - no TV, you know :-)

Stephan.

--
loescher@xxxxxx