1.3.15: VDSB errors when recording

Harald Milz wrote:
> Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Harald Milz wrote:
>>
>>>the "-5" in remux.c. Now I am getting lots of buffer overrun errors
>>>on the slow machine (VIA C3 533), resulting in broken MPEG streams. The
>>>recordings are not very usable afterwards.
>

>>Install kernel 2.6.11.
>

> A stock kernel isn't really an option for a SUSE system (unfortunately).
> Methinks the 9.3 kernel would work, right?
>
> Just "install kernel 2.6.11" sounds like a piece of advice for a newbie -
> what exactly would this kernel's added value be?

It may be related to your problem or not, but here is my experience
with the SuSE 9.2 and SuSE 9.3 kernels on my vdr system:

The kernel level used in SuSE 9.2 still contained a problem in the
DVB drivers which caused VDSB errors if you have a FF card and a budget card.
Not SuSE-related, just "DVB drivers in kernel < 2.6.11"-related.
I believe it was Oliver who has has found and fixed the problem,
so you can either install newer DVB drivers or kernel 2.6.11,
which contains the fixed drivers.
Search the mailing list archives for VDSB or "video data stream broken"
for details.

The SuSE 9.3 kernel contains a bug that SuSE built in, which is
not in the DVB drivers nor in the standard 2.6.11 kernel.
At least on my VDR system (1 FF card, 2 budget cards), it caused
"irq 7: nobody cared!" kernel errors, which were gone the moment
I installed the standard 2.6.11.7 from kernel.org on my SuSE 9.3
system.

So, in summary:

Install kernel 2.6.11. :-)

Carsten.

P.S.: I agree that it is not as easy as it should be to install a standard
       kernel under SuSE 9.3. On my vdr system I also had to download and install
       the lirc drivers and I had do insert a modprobe command into
       /etc/init.d/network to make the system boot properly with networking.
       People using subfs might have to install that, too.
       Especially the networking thing I found annoying and unnecessary.