HDTV -> mpeg4

Hi Carsten,

>> going to give you miserable results. Doing the same to a
>> high resolution picture is only going to make things worse.

> I disagree, Reinhard.
> IMHO, Gr?goire's question above is perfectly valid.

Oh, I wasn't questioning the validility of Gr?goire's question.

It's just that >I< wouldn't give up quality for size. But then
I watch my movies on a 315 cm diagonal ;o)) and MPEG2
artifacts are already bugging me.

>Assuming that the thing must fit on one DVD, it has to be
> reduced in size

Sure, I understand that, but then I would span it across two
DVDs. At the moment, we aren't talking about hundereds
of movies in HDTV quality. Europe still has a LOOOONG
way to go before that becomes reality (if it ever does).

>and AFAIK, MPEG4 would be the way that loses the least
> amount of quality when doing that.

Sure, MPEG4 is the least lossy compression, but a compression
is still a compression and it simply has to compromize quality.
The problem is that video, unlike a text file, cannot be compressed
to any reasonable size w/o losing one way or the other.

Regards,
Reinhard