vdr-xine: what's wrong with this piece of code -- threadingissue?

Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> But for any reason, "r == 0" happens still without the FIFO beeing
closed.
> Can someone tell me, how to handle this situation properly?

It shouldn't be possible to read zero bytes from a file descriptor
unless it's been set to nonblocking mode.

In my opinion FIFOs are evil relics from stone age... Have you looked at
networking patch for xine plugin? What it basically does is it replaces
FIFOs with sockets. When xine is run on the same machine as VDR, then
there's really not much difference between the FIFO behaviour (except
that sockets do behave little nicer in my opinion), but it also allow
you to run xine on a different machine than VDR.

Anyway, in the xine-network version it was possible to get into deadlock
depending on which part of code was running as the connection to xine
was broken. I fixed it with this patch:

	http://tvr.dy.fi/xine-0.7.2-network-DeadLockFix.diff

I could assume the same deadlock happens with FIFOs also unless read()=0
is handled.

What do you think about integrating network -patch into xine-plugin?

					Teemu