Re: ANNOUNCE: patches for graphlcd-0.1.2-pre5 freetype2 runtime rendering + complete romanian i18n

Lucian Muresan wrote:
> P.S. @Andreas, I'll post another more technical one.

Hi Andreas, some more about the patches & further fine-tuning:

- I added some $(DESTDIR) all over in the Makefiles of graphlcd-base,
they're required for letting Gentoo's portage system build the library
and do not hurt otherwise (normal, manual build & install works same as
before);
- Some new methods:
   - cConfig::GetConfigIdx(...) for easily getting a configuration by
it's name, I needed this in another project;
   - cFont::LoadFT(...) -> new for freetype rendering into the native
structure, with a specified character encoding in form of "iso8859-1"
and such. There also is a bool parameter to enforce fixed width in all
characters (usefull for LCDproc), and another one to actually completely
ignore encoding (for rendering webdings.ttf, wingdings.ttf, the
so-called "dingbats", also needed for LCDproc, and normally they're bot
not used and default initialized on false;
   - cFont::SetCharacter(char ch, cBitmap * pBitmap) (opposite of
GetCharacter, comes very handy in LoadFT and also in LCDproc)
   - cFont::Save(...) - saves (I hope so) in the native format, you
might give it a try together with SetCharacter in the genfont utility or
such...
   - cFont::Init() does the initialization needed in the constructor and
is also needed in Unload();
   - cFont::Unload() does a cleanup of the internal bitmap array, it
then calls Init(). They are both protected as they're just for internal
use and already called in the constructor, destructor and Load(FT)(...)
right at their beginning, this way we can think of runtime reloading of
fonts.

- My modifications to the plugin code are minimal, and only tested on my
display size.
- What do you think of the possibility to dynamically reload a new font
size after altering the value in the configuration menu? Where could
this be triggered and how? Calling LoadFT(..) on the 3 font objects
should be enough, but in that time the display should be prevented from
updating itself. I think if we could have this as a next step, then
finding the best solutions for the layout in different display sizes
might be easier, as one can immediately see the results of size
modifications and then think about corrections in the
cGraphLCDDisplay::Display... methods.
- I agree with you, that rendering small sizes doesn't look good. But it
also depends on the font files, and I also think we could be even more
flexible and mix the font types used in the plugin, for example to use
the raster font for the small font, too.
- I noticed a problem which I can't track down, the space character is
way too narrow when rendered directly from freetype. I tried to
compensate for this in cFont::LoadFT(...) but it doesn't seem to help,
either I have a bug there, or I don't know, there are more things I did
not fully understand in the plugin code, in display.c
- Do you already have an idea when you'll be ready to release the
library in a more "official" manner? BTW, the graphlcd-base package I
downloaded right after your last announce, contained itself one more
time in the root directory, an also genfont object and binary (maybe due
to HAVE_FREETYPE2 setting the 'make clean' invoked by 'make dist'
ignored it, maybe you ran "make dist" twice, now the file is more than
double sized as it should.

So what do you think of all this? I'll wait for your feedback before
messing around more with the plugin code, and rather finish the LCDproc
driver based on the graphlcd-base library. I hope you're not going to
change it much ;-)

Best regards,
Lucian