vdr 1.3.22 and osdteletext 0.4.2 in even a couple of days

> Could there be a setting that flushes the pagecache between
> certain intervals? Or is there one already and I haven't just
> found it?

Make following script file containing lines and insert it into cron.

find /vtx/ -name *.vtx -mmin +60 | xargs rm -f

This deletes pages which are over 60 minutes old. And I run it hourly so I have maximum of 2h old pages in my system.

Also I recommend that use ramdisk for teletext (mount as /vtx). With cleanup like this a couple of megabytes is needed. One channel in cache is about 1MB, thousand pages with little less than 1kB/page (Finnish teletext channels). Also if using ext2fs filesystem on ramdisk, change block size for 1kB. This almost eliminates waste space on ramdisk (1 page takes 1kB of space instead of default 4kB).

Then look at channels.conf, and make symbolic links for channels using same teletext pid. With this you only have 1 copy of Yle's text-tv instead of 3 copies. So you use 1MB instead of 3MB. So in boot phase make something like this:

mount /vtx
mkdir 1
ln -s 1 2
ln -s 1 (yle24 channel number)

With changes like this your system runs nice, teletext is fast because of ramdisk, and harddrive spindown works etc.

Best regards, Jori