Tivo patent info

jori.hamalainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> * U.S. patent number 6,847,778, entitled Multimedia Visual
> Progress Indication System, which describes, among other
> things, methods for displaying a trick play bar to a user
> which visually indicates the amount of stored program
> material or the length of a recording session as well as
> the user's current position within the stored program
> material.

This means we can't use a progress bar? How absurd.

> * U.S. patent number 6,792,195, entitled Method and Apparatus
> Implementing Random Access and Time-Based Functions on a
> Continuous Stream of Formatted Digital Data, which
> describes methods of controlling streaming media in a
> digital device, including the functions that enable DVRs to
> pause live TV as well as rewind, fast-forward, play, play
> faster, play slower, and play in reverse television signals
> cached by the DVR.

So, now its too late. We can never have a replay buffer?  I really wanted to
implement that.

> * TiVo has also acquired the exclusive right to license and
> enforce U.S. patent number 5,241,428 entitled Variable-
> Delay Video Recorder known in the industry as the
> Goldwasser Patent. Filed in March 1991, the Goldwasser
> Patent is one of the earliest patents regarding digital
> video recorders of which TiVo is aware. This patent covers
> devices that permit the simultaneous recording and playback
> of video material with a variable time delay between
> recording and playback of a given video program segment.

Doesn't VDR already do this as well? So, legally, we cant record and playback at
the same time? Ridiculous.

Patents are a terrible thing for open source.  They bind our hands, steal our
hobbies and kill our jobs.

PS: For every patent they issue, God kills a puppy. Think about the puppies!