Mplayer plugin no longer displays picture (or sound)

Following some useful pointers last week I have now
managed to get from 2.6.9 to 2.6.11rc5 and my panics seem
to be a thing of the past, but now mplayer no longer
works.

I updated my scripts to use the now-renamed frontends and
that all seems fine, but when I start playback with
mplayer I get a brief black screen and then live video
returns. However, I can see get_percent_pos messages
scroll past and hear the cd drive spinning. Yes, I do have
mpegpes compiled in and I did recompile mplayer just in
case.

Any suggestions?
The information in this message is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee.  Access to this message by any other person is not permitted.
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and
may be unlawful.