hardware recommendations?

I demand that Guido Fiala may or may not have written...

> On Saturday 26 February 2005 14:05, Carsten Koch wrote:
> > Craig Sanders wrote:
>>> the main things i'm not sure about are:
>>>  - what CPU to get?
>>>    i'm tempted by an athlon 64, but then i'd have to start mirroring the
>>>    a64 distribution of debian as well as the i386, and i'm generally not
>>>    keen to pay a price premium to be a guinea-pig for new hardware....a64
>>>    and a64 motherboard designs probably won't be mature for another year
>>>    or so.
>>>    other alternatives P4 or and Athlon, with the athlon being slightly
>>>    cheaper.

>> VDR works happily with a 150MHz CPU if you have a full-featured card or
>> with under 1 GHz if you don't. At least here in Germany the best price per
>> GHz according to
>>    http://www.geizhals.net/deutschland/?cat=cpuk7sa&sort=r
>> is an AMD Duron 1800Mhz, which should be more than adequate.

Bus speed's also relevant. Presumably, that one requires something faster
than 233MHz (which is what I'm using).

>> The only function you can always speed up with a faster CPU is re/encoding
>> for DVD burning, but unless you do that several times a day, I would not
>> spend extra money for a few minutes less wait time.

> IMHO you need to correct your number by the price of electrical energy
> according to the calculation power per watt - i guess mobile CPU/system's
> will then have the nose in front, in just one year the amount of saved
> energy easily returns the investment for the slightly higher price of the
> cpu.

That and switching on power-saving features whatever you're using. For that
Duron, I suggest installing athcool (you'll need ACPI).

> Guido (trying to safe the planet ;-)

s/safe/save/, unless you're trying to verb an adjective in trying to make it
less dangerous ;-)

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Descartes of Borg: "I assimilate, therefore I am."