OT: Best DVI Video Card for Xine

jori.hamalainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>Video being only 1Vp-p in level means only small (20mV or so), levels
>>>of mains hum (due to ground loops etc.) are visible in the picture and
>>>by keeping the frequencies the same, the hum bars appear stationary or
>>>very slowly drifting through the picture and so much less intrusively visible.
>>
>>Originally yes. To my understanding these problems have been
>>long gone (due PSUs) so choice of 50Hz for HDTV makes little
>>sence - especially when it comes to digital broadcasting.
>>Most likely the decision was based on history and politics.
>

> I also agree, but I can be very ignorant on this. HDTV is a 'computer' display. And don't see any banding on my computer monitor which runs with 50Hz mains and 85Hz VGA. Or should I see, and what I should look for?

As the poster just above said, these issues are almost irrelevant due to
technological advances in various areas.

To the decision being based on history and politics, I would also add
legacy. It will take some time before stations have enough HD native
originated material to fill 100% of their schedules and what about
re-runs of pre HD material? Keeping the frame rate the same means
standard definition material just needs upscaling, rather than
interpolating to a different frame rate as well. Look critically at
material that has been NTSC->PAL standards converted to see the
compromises the latter involves.

Regards,

Richard