Re: can't get lock on Astra 19.2

Brian wrote:
> tony wrote:
>
>>Le vendredi 18 f?vrier 2005 ? 18:05 +0100, Lucian Muresan a ?crit :

>>OK I have compiled and installed vdr 1.3.21 with vdr-xine 0.7.1 and
>>streamdev + femon
>>
>>I am pointed at RTL 12188 Mhz - I am losing the carrier from time to
>>time and strength of signal and carrier are topping out at 65%.
>>
>>Pointed at the satellite with my analog tuner the signal is just fine so
>>this has something to do with the DVB drivers. I am using dvb-kernel
>>drivers loaded by hand.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Tony
>>PS Klaus 1.3.21 is much better where it does work (BskyB)
>>congratulations.

> Tony,
> I have a "test" VDR that is running with a Budget Nova-S, I have some
> BER and very low SNR and STR using Femon.
> My "Production" VDR with two FF cards has far better signals (according
> to Femon) and no BER at all. I moved
> one of the FF cards to this box to check that all is really OK, cabling
> etc. With the FF I then got no BER, and the kind
> of STR and SNR values I am used to. As it happens the test machine is
> about 2M cable away from my multiswitch, the
> production box is about 10M away.
> The test box is a Kernel 2.6 with the supplied DVB drivers, the
> production box  is 2.4 with  DVB drivers from the middle of last year.
>
> For me the values shown by Femon are very driver dependent.
> Either that or my Budget card is broken, but running it under windows
> show normal signal values so I dont think so.
>
> Cheers Brian

Haven't looked at BER values and such, but I can confirm that my single
Budget Nova-S system is working ok when I boot the non-udev gentoo-2.6.9
with the kernel-supplied drivers and vdr-1.3.14, and not working at all,
when booting the fresh installed udev-enbled Gentoo-2.6.10 with the
kernel-supplied drivers, and I tried all this FU weekend vdr-1.3.21 back
to -20, -18 and -14 on this partition, with no results.
I also asked for help in just some pointers where to look for the error
in http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2005-February/000171.html bot I
only got a suggestion from Darren Salt in this other thread Tony
initiated. what do you think I could try? disable udev and go back to
devfs? Downgrade the kernel? Use DVB-CVS drivers?
the funny thing is that dvbscan is properly scanning for services at any
of the 4 LNBs I have after the 4/1 DiseqC switch, and even dvbtune
reports something like this, how does it look like? Any other clues?

htpc root # dvbtune -f 11431000 -p H -s 13350 -v 410 -a 411 -D 0
Using DVB card "ST STV0299 DVB-S"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:8, Pol:H Srate=13350000, 22kHz=off
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 46848
Signal strength: 55675
SNR: 42942
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
A/V/TT Filters set

Thanx in advance,
Lucian