Re: uprobes: keep thread blocked after the handler returns

> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 14:19 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > Why not just prevent the handler from returning until you want the
> > > thread to unblock? The handler could sleep on something trigger from
> > > user space.
> >
> > That is a no-no for a utrace callback.  It prevents other tracing
> > facilities from doing anything useful.
>
> Yeah, you're pretty adamant about that in Documentation/utrace.txt, but
> I always wondered why.  Using gdb, I can stop a traced app and keep it
> stopped all weekend.  If nobody else is using the app, why should
> anybody care?

You can certainly keep the application stopped all year.
You just have to do it the right way, by setting QUIESCE.

What you can't do is hijack a user thread's scheduling context for
your own purposes.  That is not friendly.  It prevents any other
tracing engine (that is following the rules) from examining the
thread, because it is not properly quiescent, just blocked somewhere
in the kernel.  If other tracing engines detach while you block, it
prevents the data structures being cleaned up, for the same reason.
It prevents anyone poking around the system with ps or whatnot from
seeing a proper "T (tracing stop)" status to indicate why that
process has not progressed all weekend.  It breaks SIGKILL.  If you
do much work, other than block, it charges all those resources to the
user thread instead of explicitly to instrumentation code, which may
or may not matter, but is always relevant to the general issue.

One of the key purposes of utrace is to make it easier not to screw
up in all these ways.  Look, bottom line, you are writing kernel
module code, in an enforcement sense you already have carte blanche.
But if you want me to change my definition of "well-behaved", it
ain't gonna happen.

> Sure, utrace allows multiple facilities to trace the same app, and we
> may see circumstances where multiple users skew each others' results by
> tracing the same app with blocking handlers.  That doesn't seem like a
> very good reason for preventing utrace handlers from doing useful stuff
> that can't be accomplished without blocking.

This misses most of the reasons well-behaved callbacks are important.
(For the executive summary, "breaks SIGKILL" is all anyone really
needs to know.  Any debugging facility on Linux is broken by
definition if it can ever prevent the timely completion of death by SIGKILL.)

It also gives the impression that you think this API discipline for
kernel modules in some way constrains what control you can exercise
over user threads.  That is not so (except you can't break SIGKILL).

The utrace callbacks are the moral equivalent of interrupt handlers,
ones that run with all other interrupts disabled.  The handler utterly
monopolizes the resource in question until it returns, in this case
the thread rather than the CPU.  They are not literally interrupt
handlers, and by design run in a context that is as "safe" as it gets
in kernel mode.  But by analogy, considering the potential to break
the system's behavior overall, they are in that vein.  Think of
writing a tracing engine as like writing a device driver.  The devices
you manipulate are user threads.  You can put the device into a
"frozen" state so it doesn't run off changing its state, but you don't
do it by blocking in the interrupt handler.

If instead of utrace callbacks, I had given you only a queued-event
interface via something like an in-kernel socket, with "keep the
thread quiescent until I dequeue this event and reply" being the only
"immediate action" option, I suspect you would not be complaining.
In either case, you have to structure your code in the same way.  The
main control flow of *your* logic takes place in a context *you*
provide, either the calling thread from the userland debugger doing
some control operation, or a kernel service thread you create.  In
this case, you also have to write the utrace callbacks that queue
events or post wakeups for your main control code, as in a device
interrupt handler.

utrace is the *lowest layer*, it's not *the* interface.  Perhaps most
uses want something somewhere on the spectrum closer to the
queued-event model, i.e. an interface giving a small set of things to
do immediately on an event (that can be implemented in well-behaved
ways) and making higher-level synchronization easy with your main
control interface and with simple things like quiescing multiple threads.
(I intend to produce a higher layer doing those things, but that is
not the utrace layer.)

My analogy to interrupt handlers is slightly dramatic.  In fact,
you can freely do all sorts of things in utrace callbacks.  It's
fine to do small blocks for memory allocation, even paging to
access user memory, maybe even some i/o if you're sure it's quick.
Anything that the thread could do itself from user mode, or in
kernel code that is "instantaneous" (or at least uninterruptible)
from the user-mode perspective.  You can wait for a mutex/sem for
some subsystem data or some lock of your own.  If you have a
locking bug and block forever there, it's not the end of the world.
(It will break SIGKILL, and make the system take forever trying to
do a graceful shutdown when you try to reboot.)  Just no blocking
until Tuesday, nor anything that is not close-by in your direct
control with straightforward reasons to believe it won't ever block
arbitrarily.  Any kind of blocking as an explicit synchronization
mechanism for the thread itself does not qualify.

These are called rules for well-behaved tracing engines.  They are
there to help you mitigate the impact of bugs you can write, be
kind to the environment, play well with others, etc.  If you break
the rules in a prototype, noone will send you to the stockade.

Please help me with suggestions on how Documentation/utrace.txt can
present this issue better.  It seems it's managing to communicate
"Roland doesn't want you to do it", but not why it's good for you,
and for motherhood and apple pie, national security, and global
child welfare, to refrain.

Thanks,
Roland