Re: [RFC] Alternative color configuration for dmesg

 Hi,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 07:32:03PM +0200, Dragan Simic wrote:
> I'd like to implement support for an additional, alternative way for the
> color configuration in the dmesg utility.  It would use an environment
> variable to store the color configuration, in a way rather similar to what
> grep(1) does using the GREP_COLORS environment variable.

frankly, terminal-colors.d has been implemented to avoid environment
variables :-)

Anyway, I have nothing against support for <util>_COLORS= if it will
be implemented into lib/colors.c and the code will work together.

For example if terminal-colors.d/*.disable will force application to
ignore <util>_COLORS= too.

The ideal solution will be if the env.variable will be just another
way how to specify color scheme (alternative to .scheme file).

Maybe also follow conventions used by terminal-colors.d, it means
scheme, enable and disable options, for example:

    DMESG_COLORS=disable
    DMESG_COLORS=enable
    DMESG_COLORS=alart:37;41,warning:37;42

(not sure about the format, this just brain-storming ... ;-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com