Re: May I help you to fix the source code for util-linux?

On 7/5/23 19:23, Lyman Opie wrote:
Dear friends who have worked on the util-linux source code,

Thank you for the util-linux package.

I'm an M.I.T. graduate, who has been compiling linux source code for
almost as long it has existed.  A problem has crept into the
util-linux source code:

When I run its "configure" script, it eventually fails, reporting
   error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

The lack of sanity is not in cpp, but in the configure script, which
calls cpp with a command line tens of thousands of characters long,
which consists almost entirely of thousands of repetitions of the
command-line arguments "-D _GNU_SOURCE".

I am looking into a way to fix this, but perhaps someone who is
already familiar with the source code can tell me immediately how this
might be fixed?

If someone has a chance to email me, I'd be pleased to hear from you.
I thank you kindly for reading.

Wow. A problem with no information in which to help. What is your host distribution? What is the command line? What version of util-linux? What hardware?

On my linuxfromscratch system on x86_64 I run:

tar -xf util-linux-2.39.1.tar.xz
cd util-linux-2.39.1
./configure

It runs perfectly in slightly under 7 seconds.  You are doing something wrong or
have a really unusual system, but you give far too little information to let others help.

  -- Bruce