Re: util-linux v2.39 with translated man pages by default?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 08:24:47PM +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I run ./configure (without any option) on the current Git content, I get:
>
>         Manual pages:              yes
>         Manual pages translated:   no
>
> This means, creating and installing the translated man pages is still
> not enabled by default. What may we expect for v2.39? If this remains

Good point. I have enabled it:
 https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/commit/9acfc349e0ea68a92baf818cc659121f40ab9c04

but as in other cases, the default is "check", and the result depends on
if you have "po4a" installed, and if not installed, you will see a
warning

    configure: WARNING: po4a not found; not building translated man pages

but ./configure will success.

> disabled, no downstream packager will notice it, and the effort of the
> translators (6 languages, more than 500 translated *.adoc files) was
> for the trashscan.

I need to think about how to push it to Fedora/RHEL; I'll probably
create a sub-package with the translations, one for all or per
language. Is there any good practice for man pages?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com