su currently requires PAM

In linuxfromscratch, we have been using su from the shadow package because the util-linux version requires Linux-PAM. Recently the maintainers of shadow have announced that they are deprecating su. Our problem is that some of our users prefer to not install PAM.

Is it possible to make the requirement of Linux-PAM optional in the util-linux version of su? From a preliminary inspection of the code, it looks like only login-utils/su-common.c would need to be modified with some #ifdef constructs, but I am not completely comfortable doing that myself.

I am asking one of the maintainers to make the change, but I am willing to attempt creating a patch if no one else wants to do it and the approach would be acceptable to the util-linux project.

  -- Bruce Dubbs
     linuxfromscratch.org