Re: An obscure problem with v2.37 make check

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 03:42:04PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> When I built version v2.37, make check hung on me.  The problem was in my
> kernel configuration, but I thought I would pass this on.
>
> First of all, my biggest problem was finding out what had failed.  A simple
> 'make check' ran the tests and when it got to the end, hung.
>
> I could not find any documentation about running the tests, but diving into
> the Makefile led me to tests/run.sh.  By default this runs tests using all
> cores, but it is unclear if this is meant to be run directly.

The tests are designed for smart people, like you who, are able to debug it ;-)

> In any case running run.sh --parallel=1 (instead of the default 24) allowed
> me to find the problem test, tests/ts/lsns/ioctl_ns.  In this test, it is
> doing:

The --parallel=1 is the default when you execute ./run.sh from command
line. This is the way I usually use the tests. The "make check"
executes it in parallel to make it faster for automated execution
(github actions, travis, random QA, etc.)

> my_userns=$(stat -c %i -L /proc/self/ns/user)
>
> My problem was that /proc/self/ns/user did not exist on my system.  This was
> due to a missing CONFIG option in my kernel configuration.  Adding that and
> rebuilding the kernel allowed all tests to pass.
>
> One solution to this problem may be to test for the existence of the file
> before running 'stat' similar to the tests for programs like 'touch' and

Sounds good. Please, send patch.

For 3rd party programs you need "ts_check_prog <progname>" at the
beginning of the test.

> 'uniq'.  Since this is such an unusual situation, I can understand if you
> just ignore the issue, however I thought you should know about it.

It's definitely important to run the tests in more environments to
make it stable and I'm happy that we have contributors from
non-mainstream distributions.

So, thanks for your feedback.

  Karel

--