Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.37

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:29:21PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 6/1/21 2:38 AM, Karel Zak wrote:
> >
> > The util-linux release v2.37 is available at
> >
> >    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/v2.37/
> >
> > Feedback and bug reports, as always, are welcomed.
> >
> >    Karel
>
> Karel, Is there any chance you can release a tarball with rendered man
> pages?  It would make things a lot easier for us.

I'm not sure if duplicate content in the upstream source
tarball is a good idea (it means keep there AsciiDoc as well as
generated man pages).

Maybe we can create a separated tarball util-linux-man-2.37.tar.gz and
distribute it by kernel.org FTP for users who do not want to depend on
AsciiDoc. It would be also usable in the future when we will have the
man pages translated to other languages.

The problem is content which depends on the configuration (variables
like $ADJTIME_PATH, $docdir, etc.), because it's distro-specific and
these variables are replaced by real data during conversion from
AsciiDoc,  but I guess this is something we can fix by simple sed call
in the Makekefile.am.

So, your work-flow will be:

 * download and extract source tar.gz
 * download and extract man-pages tar.gz to the same directory as source
 * ./configure [--disable-asciidoc]
 * make
 * make install

Does it sounds usable?