libblk / blkid not recognizing Atari FAT16 variation

Hi List

As said in $subject,

  truncate --size 64M fs.img
  mkfs.fat -A fs.img # -A for Atari variant
  blkid fs.img # nothing

(a real disk image with partitions can also be downloaded here
https://subsole.org/st_mint )

fsck.vfat, and the kernel can check and mount such a partition.
The kernel detects properly the fat when mounting a block device,
without having to force the filesystem on the command line.

>From this doc about the Atari fat format,
info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_mydoc/Atari_HD_File_Sytem_Reference_Guide.pdf

I see on page 9
that the main differences between MS DOS and Atari FAT, is about the fat
logical sector size,
which can goes over 512 bytes in the Atari FAT, whereas in MSDOS FAT it
is always 512 bytes.

fsck.vfat -v fs.img
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "kdosf"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
      2048 bytes per logical sector <---- more than 512 bytes

However after a quick glance on the code in fat_valid_superblock()
at
https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/blob/master/libblkid/src/superblocks/vfat.c#L218

it seems to me that libblk should would work with sectors up to 4096
bytes, so I am bit puzzled.
Any pointers on what could be missing here ?

Manu

--
You know an upstream is nice when they even accept m68k patches.
  - John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, Debian OpenJDK maintainer