Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.35

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 7:51 AM Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:16:47PM -0300, Carlos Santos wrote:
>
> > That's a problem. It makes hwclock hard to include in embedded systems
> > due to the GPLv3 restrictions.
> >
> > I noticed that it comes due to sys-utils/hwclock-parse-date.y, which
> > was taken from gnulib. Would it be possible to take the file from an
> > previous version of gnulib that was still under GPLv2?
> >
> > An alternative approach would be porting a similar code using a more
> > liberal license, e.g. BSD.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
>  I have tried to export it from gnulib with v2, but it was impossible
>  by official gnulib tools.  Maybe do it manually from some old
>  tarball. I'll accept a patch for this if you have time do it.

I'm  looking for alternatives but they don't seem to be easy to
implement. I will explore them over the weekend and even during work
time next week, if necessary. That's fine, since the evil corporation
we both  work for pay us to write free software. :-)

>  I'll like to release 2.35.1 ASAP (due to bug in sfdisk --move-data),
>  so we can add this license change too.

Don't hold 2.35.1 because of this.

--
Carlos Santos <unixmania@xxxxxxxxx>