Re: does util-linux have a 'report sector size' util?

On 3/12/2019 1:21 AM, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 02:34:46PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:

>>> Is this one of the PHY-SEC or LOG-SEC fields that lsblk can print?
>>>
>>> [dg@major ~]$ lsblk -o "NAME,PHY-SEC,LOG-SEC"
>>> NAME                                            PHY-SEC LOG-SEC
>>> sda                                                 512     512
>>>
>> ---
>>     It would be, if it was correct.  Megacli displays:
>>
>>    Sector Size:  512
>>    Logical Sector Size:  512
>>    Physical Sector Size:  4096
>>
>> But lsblk displays 512 for everything.  The disk says it uses a 512e format
>> with the 'e' meaning it emulates 512 even if not 512.
>>

> lsblk, fdisk, blockdev, ... but all of the utils read the information
> from kernel. So, it depends how the device reports topology to the
> kernel.

Well, that's what I would think but I can't see why the device driver
would have been purposely changed to hide the actual physical size or
the temperature.  That said, megacli has to be reading those values
from somewhere -- and I'd tend to think it was accessing the driver as
well, but that begs the question -- where is it getting the temperature
and physical size from>?

It can even read the serial numbers off the disks.

I'm not sure if it is opensource or not.
*sigh*