libblkid: Implementing basic Apple APFS support

Hello all,

I am sort of floating around recently, messing with Fedora on a MacBook Pro and trying to improve issues I find. Apple APFS has been the default on Macs for a couple of years now. I think it would be useful for users to be able to see/recognise their MacBook system partition in the various disk management tools that depend on libblkid.

My initial patch was just adding enough to recognise partitions and mark them as such. Support for recognition is in the upstream file utility so the magic values are known.

https://github.com/file/file/blob/a642587a9c9e2dd7feacdf513c3643ce26ad3c22/magic/Magdir/apple#L435

However, APFS is not really a filesystem type, but includes a volume manager too. Perhaps recognition of the partition type is not complete enough for upstream? I am looking at making an implementation in the partitions folder rather than the superblocks folder (inspired by code in the reverse engineered apfs-fuse driver) to enumerate and fill in the volumes listed but this is an order of magnitude more code to work with.

https://github.com/sgan81/apfs-fuse

Would a pure recognition-only apfs module be of interest?
Does anyone have any tips on writing a partition table reader version?
Would upstream be interested in this change at all given open source reading/writing to the file system is likely a long way off (apfs-fuse exists, as does a closed source Paragon implementation, both read only)?
Is libblkid the right place for this code or is there some other layer I should be looking at?

Best,
Harry