Re: Bug: "blkid -o list" output formating is broken

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 10:35:52AM +0100, Sami Kerola wrote:
> On 6 June 2018 at 15:50, Dominik Heidler <dheidler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > when I run "blkid -o list" on a terminal with width >= 178 chars
> > the output will be broken:
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/84899108
> >
> > It will shift the table output and create longer lines than the
> > terminal width generating linebreaks and breaking the readability of
> > the table.
> >
> > I was able to reproduce this issue with util-linux-2.32.
>
> Hi Dominik,
>
> From bklid(8) manual page:
>
>   It is recommended to use lsblk(8) command to get information about block
>   devices, or lsblk --fs to get an overview of filesystems, or findmnt(8) to
>   search in already mounted filesystems.
>
>   lsblk(8) provides more information, better control on output formatting,
>   easy to use in scripts and it does not require root permissions to get
>   actual information. <and so on>
>
> Notice that the manual page also has marked --output=list deprecated
> in favour of the lsblk(8) command. So it is _very_ unlikely changes to
> that output format are accepted by Karel who maintains the project.
> That basically means bugs in that format are now features.

Yes, it seems bad idea to invest time to --output=list if we have
libsmartcols based solutions.

"lsblk --fs" is better solution. blkid(8) is there for backward
compatibility and to have a way how to test libblkid probing code
(-p).

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>