Re: fputs() vs puts()

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 02:38:33PM +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
> On Monday 03 July 2017, Karel Zak wrote:
> >  Maybe it would be possible to convince me that coreutils way for
> >  options arguments is the right way :-))
> >
> >  I mean:
> >
> >    --output COLUMNS
> >    --length SIZE
> >    --net[=FILE]
> >
> >  ...etc. The question is how to compose the option string to minimize
> >  duplication and inform about a format, for example
> >
> >    --output COLUMNS    list of columns to display (see below)
> >

> >  Note that on many places we for example for SIZE accept suffixes
> >  (MiB, GiB...) but this info is nowhere in the --help output.
>
> Coreutils is using some of these capitalized words really as
> system-wide keywords. For example SIZE:
>
>   The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024).
>   Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (powers of 1000).
>
> BTW this is my only coreutils patch to make the size description
> human understandable and let it fit into two 80 char columns. ;)
>
> There was a big discussion about this here in bug#9939
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2011-11/threads.html#00002
>

> >  And note that I like the William's idea with the explicit reader
> >  redirection "(see below)".
>
> Yep, IMO the "see below" is good *always* if the overall text is a bit
> longer. In case there are only a few lines or if obvious (like FILE), it
> *may* be skipped, I would say.

I agree. What about the section where we explain the references? I
personally prefer sentence-like way:

   Available COLUMNS:
   The SIZE argument...

More complex example (lsblk):

 now:
   -e, --exclude <list>    exclude devices by major number (default: RAM disks)
   -I, --include <list>    show only devices with specified major numbers
   -o, --output <list>     output columns
   -x, --sort <column>     sort output by <column>

 after change:
   -e, --exclude MAJOR     exclude specified devices (see below)
   -I, --include MAJOR     show only specified devices (see below)
   -o, --output COLUMNS    output columns (see below)
   -x, --sort COLUMN       sort output by column

 The MAJOR command separated list of the device major numbers. The
 ramdisk devices are excluded by default.

 Available COLUMNS:
   NAME  device name
   KNAME  internal kernel device name

Objections, comment?