Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.29-rc2

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 03:01:57PM +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:
> On Saturday 10 December 2016, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, I have applied:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/commit/e5cc93b5a8854fce80537
> > >f86a244977df212dcb5
> > >
> > > with ncurses-config and fallback to old good AC_CHECK_LIB.
> > >
> > > We can add fallback to pkg-config too, but it sounds like overkill
> > > if ncurses-config is everywhere.
> >
> > ugh, this change makes things worse.  the point of using pkg-config
> > is also to get sane cross-compiling.  by always running `xxx-config`,
> > it now breaks cross-compiling.
>
> Works for me, when adding the ncurses5-config to the PATH
> $ /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/ncurses5-config  --libs
> -L/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib -lncurses -ltinfo
>
> > why can't we just tell distros to fix their ncurses install ?  it's
> > not like 2.29, released a month ago, is getting rolled out to old
> > distros where people can't update their ncurses systems.
>
> I guess we should better fix ncurses upstream, to avoid having ncurses
> packages on any distros broken in different ways.
>
> > "it's hard" is a pretty weak argument for distro maintainers.
>
> No, no. This was about installing plain ncurses as a normal user
> (./configure --prefix ...). If upstream does not provide .pc files by
> default then we should not rely on them. You can't blame users nor
> package maintainers for installing a lib in a way like upstream
> recommends.
>
> To re-add pkg-config plus fallback we could try AX_WITH_CURSES from
> autoconf-archive:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_with_curses.html#ax_with_curses

I have add one AC_IF and PKG_CHECK_MODULES to our UL_NCURSES_CHECK to
prefer pkg-config and fallback to ncurses-config. It's trivial fix and
it seems it works as expected.

No problem to support AX_WITH_CURSES (go ahead if you want), but I'm
lazy :-) to test this completely new solution.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com