Re: New option for wall to limit message by group?

On 14 November 2016 at 16:31, Jim Patterson <jimp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The company that I work for has an old terminal application that is
> still in use today.  This app used to run on AIX boxes but has been
> moved to modern Linux based systems.  The users on this application
> are in groups and under AIX we used the "-g" switch on wall to be able
> to send a message to a single group at a time.  The wall on Linux does
> not offer this option.  I will either be adding this option to wall or
> writing a custom tool to support sending a message based on the user's
> groups.
>
> Is there any interest in a pull request supporting such an option in
> the standard wall?  And if so, does anyone have any particular
> concerns about implementation details?
>
> The AIX man page does not describe the implementation details, but
> experimenting with the command on an AIX system shows that the the
> message is sent to all users that have the specified group in the
> primary or supplementary groups.  My plan for doing this on a Linux
> system is to use the username in the utmp entry to lookup the user's
> primary and supplementary groups, then skip the utmp entry if the user
> does not have the specified group.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim P
>
> PS. I'm not subscribed to the group, so please reply to this address also.

Hi Jim,

Adding -g, --group <groupname|gid> option should be doable. Do you want
to write this change or prefer someone else doing the work? Either way I
don't mind helping a bit.

Reference: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_61/com.ibm.aix.cmds6/wall.htm

p.s. Maintainer is off-line
http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=147877091818853&w=2