Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.29-rc2

On Thursday 20 October 2016, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 01:34:24PM +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
> > For me it looks like the even the ncurses authors do not like their
> > own pc files. Disabled by default and it's a pain to get them built
> > with correct names and installed in the right location. Even
> > --prefix does not work for their pc files. Plus the backward
> > compatibility problem ...
>
> OK, I have applied:
>
> https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/commit/e5cc93b5a8854fce80537f8
>6a244977df212dcb5
>
> with ncurses-config and fallback to old good AC_CHECK_LIB.

Thanks!

> We can add fallback to pkg-config too, but it sounds like overkill if
> ncurses-config is everywhere.
>
> It seems drone.io don't like the change
> https://drone.io/github.com/karelzak/util-linux/641 but not sure if
> the problem is our build-system or drone.io.

It finds ncursesw5-config but not the lib. Looks like a packaging bug in
Ubuntu 12.04.

I guess libncursesw5-dev is not installed but ncursesw5-config is from
the installed ncurses-bin. The config script should be in the dev
packages as well as the .pc files.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/amd64/ncurses-bin/filelist
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/amd64/libncursesw5-dev/filelist

We don't need to handle such broken installation. In drone.io script you
could try
  apt-get install -qq libncursesw5-dev

cu,
Rudi