Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.29-rc2

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 12:25:31PM +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2016, Karel Zak wrote:

> > > Looks like ncurses(w) detection does not work anymore without
> > > pkgconfig files, for example on openSUSE <=13.1, SLE 12 and
> > > openSUSE Leap.
> >
> > Ah, I have thought that people already use pkg-config for ncurses on
> > all current distributions. For example we have .pc for ncurses on
> > old CentOS/RHEL 6 (year 2011).
> >
> > I can add the fallback, but it makes configure messy. Do we really
> > need it? :-)
>

> I've just checked a bit.
>
> The pkg-config files were introduced in ncurses 5.9 (2011). But they are
> still not enabled by default. So many distros may still miss it and
> users who install ncurses from source will probably also miss it in the
> first run. That's a bit annoying.

It would be probably nice to report this to Suse maintainers.

> Actually I was not even able to figure out quickly how to install
> ncursesw.pc. Looks like this would be needed
>
> ./configure --enable-pc-files --enable-widec --enable-lib-suffixes --enable-pc-suffixes
>
> That also means that ncurses without suffix "w" may have wide char
> support if not configured with --enable-lib-suffixes
> and --enable-pc-suffixes. So probably our new error does not really
> make sense: "wide-char support enabled, but non-wide ncurses selects"

Well, the idea is to keep it simple, "may have wide char" sounds like
we need compile test to be sure. That's crazy. Maybe assume that
"w" mean wide is good enough.

> I wonder why we don't try the config scripts (--libs --cflags) in this
> order:
>  ncursesw6-config
>  ncurses6-config
>  ncursesw5-config
>  ncurses5-config

Parallel universe :-)

> Looks like they are always installed by default and also always with the
> right suffixes. No fallback needed if we don't use pkg-config at all.

I'll try to fix it and use pkg-config and if not available then
ncurses-config.  Yes, I think that prefer de-facto standard
pkg-config with generic PKG_* autoconf macros is a good idea.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com